AN ARTIST'S LIFE AND JOURNEY THROUGH THE UNIVERSE OF CREATIVITY.
My online journal of the process of making goals, turning negative to positive, artistic visualization and practicing gratitude for the talents I've been given.
Be the creative person you are by practicing The Secret of Universal Law, visualization and gratitude.
Without art life is gray - Art brings color to the world!
Here's where I blog about my newest art pieces, how they came to be and how I am creating a better life as an artist through a new attitude.

Sunday, April 5, 2009

DO YOU VALUE YOURSELF AS AN ARTIST AND A PERSON?


All images on this post are © 2009 by PopArtDiva.com. All Rights Reserved. No permission is given to post, copy, distribute, save, print or reproduce in any manner without prior written permission.

Though I was redecorating these last few weeks, I actually did get eight new Martini Art pieces done - below are two of my newest Illustrated Martini Nano stories done for The Martini Diva (and as spot illustrations for the martini book) and two new recipe cards that use some of my newest martini art designs. I haven't uploaded the newest designs to my website or store yet so I'll post them here when I do!

Other than that I am doing some adjustments to one client's websites and starting to build another - yes, I know I don't like doing websites but these are favors (although paid favors!)

That statement brings me to my focus for today's post - growing to believe in your own value as a person both professionally and personally. I spent too many years thinking it was egotistical to say "I'm good at what I do and I deserve to be paid accordingly". The problem with that belief is this - it's misplaced humility and it damages your view of yourself and how others will see you, not to mention how it can damage your income!

It took me a few years, but one day I realized how good I am at what I do and I learned that it's okay to admit it, be proud of it and state the facts! A lot of that belief came from learning to love myself, be grateful for what I have and see what others have to offer. My efforts to be a better person, be happier and be positive also allowed me to finally see my value and my talents and accept and embrace them!

I believe wholeheartedly that my work and my time are highly valuable and I have no trouble pointing that out. Education, experience and talent are commodities that not everyone has and those who do deserve to be compensated for them. The concept of "perceived value" is something all professionals should keep in mind - because the still prevailing mindset of the monetary world is "you get what you pay for" - if people don't pay you they think your work/time has no value and treat you accordingly! You have value and so does your time!

I do not do any graphics work or consultations for free FOR ANYONE! I found out many years (make that decades!) ago that anything done for free is rarely appreciated and "pro bono" work is usually the biggest pain of all. I always charge a fee, if only a nominal one.

I believe that we must value ourselves if we want to be valued by others. That's not to say I don't believe in giving, I do and I have often donated pieces of my art to worthy causes. I also believe in giving my time - but I give my time in ways unrelated to my profession. Why? Because, first it keeps my personal time separate from my work time and second, it brings me into places and around people outside my normal work world allowing me to expand my horizons a bit.

I guess what I'm trying to say is you don't have to be a doormat in order to be a good person. To be a contributing member of society you have to have something to contribute and you have to believe in yourself and your abilities. If you don't believe in yourself it is a very hard road to help others! A little backbone is a good thing to have - it means you value yourself. If you value yourself then you value others! Then you're in a good position to help others.

VISUALIZE, VISUALIZE: I have seen my dream homes in my head many times over my lifetime. This image has changed as my life changed but the main dream was always for a space that suited my lifestyle and fit my personality. My current home is starting to come together in a way that has surprised me. Things I've had for years, collected or created are fitting into my home perfectly - almost like this was where they were intended for from the beginning. This has surprised me but it shouldn't - the thoughts behind all the "visuals" was always a place that suited me and, for the time, this home suits me quite well as well as imparts my personality!

IT'S ALL IN HOW YOU LOOK AT IT: I'm happier now that I have gained the honesty and courage to say I'm good at what I do! False humility is a path to resentment and to unhappiness with your work and life. What a big waste of time!

ATTITUDE OF GRATITUDE: I'm grateful for my house shaping up into a great place. I'm grateful for the great Spring weather that makes me want to get out and enjoy the outdoors. I'm grateful for the people who have helped me the last few months. I'm grateful it's Sunday and now I get to go out and enjoy the day! Later!
----------------------
Unless otherwise noted, all images and art on this site are © PopArtDiva.com 2002 - 2009. All Rights Reserved.
Buy Great Art Inspired Products at The LIFE IS LIKE ART Shop!

No comments: